Nathan's BIG thing lately has been spelling. He is learning how to spell words left and right. He spends some of his down time in the afternoons spelling out words with his alphabet puzzle letters. For a while, he was using the toy laptop that he got last Christmas and learning words. I am going to attempt to list all the words that he knows how to spell (with Nathan and Matt's help): stop, yo-yo, dog, cat, sheep, pig, cow, jacket, rocket, one, monster, two, Bible, bingo, Jesus, God, eye, and, web, superwhy, now, big, William, Mommy, Daddy, Caroline, Nathan Eli Moseley, ball, queen, next, go, three, baby, you, Nana, yes, no, ladder, frog, key, mouse, house, log, pie, Matt. Ok. That's all we can come up with for now. He also knows that if you add and "s" to the end of a word, it makes it plural. The other day he said to me "S-H-E-E-P was scared of the M-O-N-S-T-E-R." I laughed out loud to hear this sentence come out of my 3 year old.
I thought this was a cute picture of her smiling while chewing on the zebra.

Here is Caroline in her crib. I really want to remember my camera one day when I go to get her up. I want to catch the excited smile that I get when I walk in the room. It's absolutely the best!

This afternoon, we were outside waiting on the mail lady to come. I decided to grab my camera and tried to get a picture of the two of them together. I got one with them both looking and sorta smiling, but I thought this picture was much more "real"...Caroline thinking about eating a leaf and Nathan putting his feet all over her.

This is our neighbor, Mrs. Crenshaw. She and her husband were out in the yard and she came over to chat. She took a seat right down on the grass with us and Caroline crawled right on over.

Nathan was just being his silly self running across the yard.

Tonight, Nathan helped Daddy wash the ice cube trays after Caroline's food was emptied from them. (He also helped me to empty them into bags and put them back in the freezer.)
6 comments:
Great post, Jennifer! I can't wait for our little girls to meet each other. ???? I don't suppose ya'll are thinking about coming around for Thanksgiving, are ya?
I think Nathan is a VERY advanced speller. And, when I say VERY, I mean VERY, VERY, VERY! How is his writing? Can you write all of these words he can spell? And read them, too? monster is especially hard. It has a three letter blend in it! And, he knows the digraph SH. . also very good! Smart boy! I guess he comes by it very honestly.
I don't think we'll be around for Thanksgiving, but we definitely need to make some plans to get together!
While I agree that Nathan is advanced :), I think you give him a little too much credit. Basically, he's a good memorizer. He has had some help, though, from the show "Word World" on PBS. They teach phonics and such. He does know "sh" from that show and can generally tell you what letter makes what sound.
Oh yeah...the answer to your questions...yes, he can write all of his letters. So, he can write any of these words. He can also read them. I want to get him some simple, repetitive books (like Dick and Jane) so he can start reading stories on his own.
By the way...I don't know what a "digraph" is. :)
enjoyed the day-in-the-life post!
A digraph, bigraph or digram is a pair of characters used to write one phoneme (distinct sound) or a sequence of phonemes that does not correspond to the two characters in sequence. The sound is often, but not necessarily, one which cannot be expressed using a single character in the orthography used by the language.
That's wikipedia for you. Basically, it's combinations like sh, ch, ph, etc.
Much of reading is just being a good memorizer. Especially if what you're memorizing is sound to letter correspondence! Both the phonics & the memorization are important aspects of reading (and writing!). He'll be learning to read before you know it!
Also, that's quite a few ice cube trays. How much food do you make at a time??? I only have 4, and I do not typically fill all 4 in one day, although it depends on what I'm making.
What kinds of things are you making for Caroline? Now that Kate is eating a lot more table food it is both harder & easier to plan meals for her. She can eat more of our dinners with us, but it's hard (to think of) yummy things to freeze for her other than more babyish food like pureed plain veggies. I recently made & froze chicken soup, which she likes pretty well. And I also made & froze beef/veg soup, but I think she had a reaction to something in that, so that may all be wasted. Anyway, just wondering about food.
I usually make enough for a month or so. I tried to do it a little along the way, but it just doesn't work for me. I only make plain fruits and veggies...but as much variety as I can. I never made any meat for Nathan and he seemed to do just fine. Also, I'm hoping that getting her used to plain veggies will help her to like them as she gets older. I'm trying to get my kids to eat better than I do!
Post a Comment