Thursday, January 03, 2008
what's in a name
Before having kids, I always thought that my kids would call me "Mama" just like I had called my own mother. However, once Nathan was born, it just seemed more natural somehow to say "Mommy and Daddy". "Mama and Daddy" just didn't have the same ring to it. As Nathan learned to talk, he called me "Ma-ma" just like most kids do because of the easy syllable repetition. I figured that we would just go with that. However, Matt and I both continued to call me "Mommy". We were supposedly teaching him to say "Mama", but we always said "Mommy". Know what that means? We were REALLY teaching him to say "Mommy". We grew accustomed to being "Mommy and Daddy". Along the way I had the thought that we would need to change his word one day because I didn't want a teenager saying "Mommy". When I hear older kids and teenagers calling their mothers by this name, it just doesn't sound right. It sounds very childish. I always wondered how we would make the transition. As of the last couple days, though, I don't know that we will have to do anything. Nathan has called me "Mama" quite a few times. After years of "Mommy", it sounds very strange for "Mama" to come out of his mouth. I don't know why he has made this change (and I haven't asked). Maybe it's his fascination with acting like a baby? Anyway, if he does continue to call me "Mama", I think I will miss "Mommy". It has become who I am. I just sounds right. Somehow, it's sad to have him saying "Mama". It's like he's a big boy. I know he is, but each step is still a little sad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I had wondered about that, too. I thought, "He's going to be teased in the future." Glad the change is coming!
Post a Comment