Monday, January 07, 2008

walking and crying

I am still behind on getting posts up about Christmas activities. I will get there, though. In the meantime, I wanted to give one update about Caroline. While webcamming with Sean and Lisa on Christmas Eve, Caroline decided to take on more walking. She would wonder from one thing to another over and over again. Previously, she was only taking a couple steps between people when coaxed. She had taken just a few steps on her own, but they were few and far between. Anyway, this particular day she must have been distracted and not really realized what she was doing. It was really cute! I'm glad that Sean and Lisa got to experience somewhat of a first. Since then, she has been doing more walking. Often, she will start out going somewhere walking...well, toddling...and at some point wobble over. When she ends up on all fours, she will sometimes stand back up and keep going but will often just take off crawling.

Last night at church, we had a telling (and somewhat humorous) experience with Nathan. He was writing in his notebook during the sermon and copying words out of my Bible. (Come to find out later, he was writing a song.) All of the sudden, he got very upset. He put on his VERY sad face and started crying. You could tell that he was just heartbroken. After talking to him, I found out that he was spelling "and" and had written and "o" instead of a "d". He was writing in pen so he couldn't erase it. It was upset because he had made a mistake. I told him that he could just scratch it out and start over. He wasn't convinced. My mom offered him a pencil so that the next time he could just erase it. He didn't buy that either. He just gave up and gave me his notebook. A few minutes later, he asked me for his notebook and my mom for her pencil and started writing again on the next page. As he began flipping the notebook back and forth, I realized that he was copying the words that he had written earlier. He proceeded to do this until he had rewritten everything from before...with "and" written correctly. It's hard for me to understand such a desire for perfection. But...that's Nathan...at times, nothing less than perfect will do.

No comments: