Saturday, June 02, 2007

percentiles, medicine, opening up, and toys

We (Nathan and I) took Caroline to the doctor on Thursday. This was her four month visit. She now weighs 14 lb, 12 oz and is 25 in long. That is about 75th percentile for both. Her head is about 90th percentile. At least both of our children are "blessed" with big heads!! They'll get to sympathize with each other as they grow up.

We had planned to wait until Caroline was 6 months to start her on any solid foods. (That's what we did with Nathan and it went well.) However, Dr. Blevens suggested going ahead and starting her on cereal to (hopefully) help with her reflux. We would really like to get her off of her medicine. So...we'll probably go get her some cereal before long and see what happens. Maybe we'll actually be able to stop her medicine without too much trouble.

Since Caroline was born, Nathan has really come out of his shell. He is much more outgoing these days. He talks to everyone...and when it's us, he talks all the time. :) Some in my family say it reminds them of me...though I had him beat on when I started talking. Anyway, he has even started talking to strangers. We're going to have to really start enforcing the "be careful of strangers" lessons. At church on Sunday, he asked some random man (I didn't know him) what his name was...just out of the blue. I'm glad that he's come out of his shell some, but I don't want him to get too comfortable with people he doesn't know. Some of this may be related to his age, but I think it has mostly been spurred on by him seeking some extra attention...since his baby sister gets lots of what he used to get.

Oh yeah...one more thing...Caroline has really started playing with toys. Over the last two weeks, she has gone from not really being interested to actively trying to get toys. Of course, any toy that she can get close goes right in her mouth! We're going to have to start being more careful about what is close to her and how clean everything is.

3 comments:

j.j. said...

The idea of starting solids to counteract her reflux sounds kind of odd to me, but what do I know!... I hope it works. I'm sure you're ready to for her to be off the meds. When did you stop nursing Nathan?

Elizabeth said...

Caroline is growing like a little weed! I hope that the cereal does help. I didn't want to start food until 6 mo either, but Kate was ready before that. She practically attacks table food, and she seems to be enjoying her cereal & sweet potatoes. I think I'm going to start bananas this week. Good job, Nathan, on being more friendly. Although, come to think of it, he has always been pretty friendly to us at family gatherings, and he doesn't get to see us THAT often.

JM said...

The doctor said that it might help because the stuff in her stomach would be thicker...and thus, harder to go up the wrong way.

In all reality, though, it should just get better with time because the muscle that keeps things down gets stronger over the first year.

I nursed Nathan until he was 13 months. I intended to go 12 months from the git-go, but 12 months was at Christmas...and I didn't want to stop nursing with all the upheaval that goes with that time of the year.