Thursday, June 14, 2007

the oatmeal did it

For those of you who aren't educated in baby poop, let me give you a quick lesson. :) When a baby is breastfed, the poop doesn't stink. It has a smell...but it doesn't stink. Once the baby begins to eat "real" food, all that changes. Today, Caroline had her first stinky poop. The oatmeal did it. We started rice cereal last week, but the rice didn't do it. We started oatmeal a couple of days ago...and the oatmeal did it. I know it will only get worse...

On a nicer note, we haven't give Caroline her medicine since last Friday. I don't know if the cereal had anything to do with it or if the medicine just wasn't doing much any more. Whatever the case, I'm glad that it seems that we're done with medicating her...at least every day.

4 comments:

Ldani said...

I'm glad about the medicine (and sorry about the stinky poop; that's no fun). If she needed the medicine at some point, would you be able to tell?

JM said...

Based on how she was before we started the medicine, I think it would be obvious. At that point, she was having stuff come up every time she ate and it was obviously unpleasant for her. Also, she was regularly spitting up (more like puking) everything she just ate.

Elizabeth said...

I am so glad she's off her medicines! I'm sure she is too. Kate has had a few stinky ones too. Now I have to ask a bit more sweetly for Josh to change diapers. :-) I commiserate. It seems like I'm spraying Oust in her bedroom every day.

JM said...

Luckily, diapers are not something I have to ask Matt to do. Ever since Nathan was born, he has jumped right in to share in the responsibility. In fact, between the two hospital stays when the kids were born, I think I changed two or three diapers total.