So, we're working on ideas for the girls sharing a room in the future. Basically, I'm wanting to go ahead and get whatever bed Caroline is going to need (even though she won't need it for a little while since she'll be sharing a room with Nathan for a few months). So, what do you think? Two separate twin beds with under bed storage and little to no other furniture - or - bunk beds with the ability to have some kind of storage furniture? Any thoughts?
6 comments:
I ponder the same things for my girls. Nothing is decided here, but I'll share some of my thoughts. Two beds on the floor are less "dangerous" than bunks and might be safer/easier to use sooner than bunks. However, bunk beds obviously leave more floor space for toys and play. I think you have a playroom, right? How much "stuff" will be in the girls' room? Do you need the extra floor space that a bunk bed offers? I think I prefer two twin beds with trundle storage, but looking at the rooms in my own house, I know that will take up a lot of the room. Can you find beds that work as bunks AND separate twins?
I agree with Jen's suggestion of beds that could be either separate or bunked--it sounds like the classic dorm room dilemma! there's always the option of "princess beds"--like a twin bed but smaller (of course, they eventually have to be upgraded) but it was fun growing up with one of those :)
If you're interested in doing the toddler bed route (is this what you call a princess bed, Erin?) we have a friend who is selling her set of two matching toddler beds w/ mattresses and all accessories including bedding, window treatment, bedside table etc etc for a GREAT price. Liz and I can vouch for the condition and the care taken with all items. Very good =)
that is what I call a princess bed--for some reason, that's what we called the one Dad made for me--perhaps something to do with the occupant? :)
Our sleeping arrangement growing up isn't relevant b/c I had some severe issues with sleeping alone growing up.
I saw on Jon and Kate + 8, that Kate bought some trundle beds. Are they the same as the toddler/princess beds? I'm not sure. But it would work for two beds and save room until babygirl might want her own big girl bed. And then Caroline would be old enough to bunk if they wanted, and you would have an extra bed...always handy for sleepovers.
I just love being able to follow the kiddos on here even though I don't comment often. Having my two girls sharing a room growing up we tried lots of alternatives including trundles ( which are great for sleep overs when they are older) but with storage an issue the twin beds with storage I think would be best bet. Not only does it save them arguing (did my girls argue)later about who gets the top bunk, but have you ever tried to change a top bunk?? Not fun even though you are a lot taller than me. Even the bottom bunk no fun. I would also go with something with no footboard, it allows for the children to help change their beds easier as they get older and just makes for a more spacious look. Also as they get older and have friends over you can put pillows along the wall and use beds as seating. Just some ideas from older mom.
Post a Comment