Friday, March 02, 2007

a crazy day

Last week was a rough week for me emotionally. Luckily, this week has been much better. It's a good thing, because I'm not sure I would have handled everything that happened this week otherwise. Specifically, Tuesday was a crazy day. My mom says that it was "a day of being a mom". Here's what happened:

We decided to meet Matt for lunch. He wanted to get back to work by 12:00, so we were going to go just a little before 11:00. Well, while I was talking to him on the phone making final plans (about 10:25), Nathan was talking to me from his room. This is not an unusual occurance. Well, once I got off the phone I asked what he was trying to say. I couldn't understand him, so I told him to come to the living room and tell me what he needed. Well, he came around the corner from his room and said "I told you I needed to go pee-pee." I looked over and he was wet down both of his legs. Yuck! On top of that, he had dripped all the way from his bed, down the hall, around the corner, and towards the living room. Again I say "yuck"! So, I sent him quickly to the bathroom. I got him undressed and into the tub. Then, I went to get supplies to clean the carpet. After cleaning for a little while, I called Matt to let him know that we might not be able to make it on time. I gave Nathan a washcloth with soap on it for him to clean himself. Once he finished with that, I gave him a towel to dry himself. When he finished, I sent him to put his underwear and pants on (while I continued to clean pee from the carpet). We ended up making it to eat with Matt around 11:15 or so. It only took me about 30 minutes to get the carpet cleaned up! :)

At lunch, Nathan got spaghetti all over his shirt. So...we changed him when we got home. After going down for his nap, Nathan decided that he needed to go poop. Well, we have been really trying to get him to keep his diaper clean at naptime...and especially free of poop...so I definitely wanted him to go. Well, when he finished he proceeded to wipe himself (again, something we're working on). Unfortunately, he got some on his shirt. So...we changed his shirt...again...for the fourth time.

Caroline has had a rash on her face. I called and talked to the nurse Tuesday afternoon and she thought I should bring Caroline in to have it looked at. Well, I ended up making an appointment for 4:00 (this was at 2:30). Luckily, I have family who helps me out when I need it. My grandmother came over to my house so I didn't have to get Nathan up from his nap or take him to the doctor's office with all the sick kids. After getting the doctor's office, we waited for an hour. We NEVER have to wait that long. I was hoping to be back home by then. Well, since we were there so long, Caroline had to eat. When we were finally called back, I proceeded to feed her while we waited for the doctor. Caroline was not only interested in eating...she was also interested in pooping. So, she ate a bit and pooped a bit and ate a bit and pooped a bit. After several of these rotations, I decided that I better change her. Unfortunately, it was too late. She had a blowout. You know, the kind that goes all the way up the back. Of course, about the time I got into it good, the doctor came in. I asked if they had some wipes I could use. She looked for some. She asked somebody for some. And then she told me that they didn't have any. What is a pediatrician's office doing without baby wipes??? Anyway, after I finally got her cleaned up, I realized that we only had some toasty-warm clothes...and it was a bit warm outside. I dressed her anyway. I proceeded to talk to the doctor. It turns out that Caroline had cradle cap on her face...crazy! I also talked to her about adjusting Caroline's Zantac dose. Afterwards, I asked if we could weigh Caroline. The doctor said that her nurse had gone home and she didn't know if anybody was available. She checked, but there wasn't anybody. I was a bit disappointed to be at the doctor's office and not be able to find out how much she weighed. Pitiful! I was nice about it, though, because I could tell the doctor was a bit stressed. Anyway, when we left, I took Caroline's clothes off and covered her with a burp cloth...and that's the way she travelled home.

So...that was the bulk of the day. It was just crazy!

3 comments:

Ldani said...

That does not sound like fun. I'm glad you made it through.

Elizabeth said...

Oh boy! Sounds like Mommy Survival Reality Show or something. How many of these challenges can you pass?
Our doc let's us just pop in whenever to use their scale ourselves. I have never taken them up on the offer, but it is incredibly nice of them. That's really weird about the cradle cap. What did she tell you to do for that? Kate's got some cradle cap, but I haven't started addressing it yet.

JM said...

Well, we have prescription strength hydrocortisone for her face and a prescription shampoo for her head. The shampoo is apparently a dandruff shampoo...it has a fungicide in it. Anyway, Nathan had cradle cap pretty bad but we never did much about it. Some people say to use baby oil to soften it up and then comb out the flakes before giving them a bath...and washing all the oil out. Caroline's actually isn't that bad yet. Hers is mostly just bumps...except around her eyebrows.